2023 SHRM Learning System for SHRM-CP / SHRM-SCP
The University of Arkansas is the only SHRM education partner in the state, with certification exam pass rates that consistently exceed the national average.
Establish yourself as a globally recognized human resource leader and contribute to the strategic direction of your organization by earning the gold standard in HR certification: SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP®) and SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP®). Ensure you're prepared for your certification exam with our prep course, which utilizes both the SHRM Learning System for SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP® (the official and most comprehensive, flexible, and effective SHRM certification prep tool) and expert instruction so you will learn faster, retain more knowledge and stay on track for success on the exam.
Our courses are specifically tailored to meet the needs of adult learners. We proudly serve our community, partner with local HR professional organizations, and have helped countless HR professionals in Arkansas and beyond earn their credential and achieve career goals. Our certified and experienced instructors live and work in this community and truly understand your needs. There’s no better way to expand your knowledge, apply your skills to real-life situations, prepare for certification, and advance your career.
Feb 2 - May 18, 2023
Thursdays, 4:30 - 7:30 pm
or face-to-face at
Global Campus in Bentonville, AR
U of A 10% discount available - view details
Certification exam fees are not included
Access / Completion Time:
- You can log on from anywhere to participate in the session “live” via our online learning system, Blackboard Collaborate, or
- You can log on any time, from anywhere, to view the recorded session via Blackboard Collaborate once the class session has been posted.
- Recorded Sessions Available
Each Course Includes
- SHRM Learning System
- A high-level review of course material
- Interactive discussions and learning activities focused on the practical application of HR competencies and knowledge
- Sample assessment questions
- Study and test taking tips
FREE INFORMATION SESSIONS
Learn more about the SHRM Learning System and our course at one of our Free Information Sessions.
SHRM BASK and Certifications
The SHRM Body of Applied Skills and Knowledge™ (SHRM BASK™), formerly the SHRM Body of Competency and Knowledge® (SHRM BoCK®), represents the evolution of the SHRM Competency Model by further defining the knowledge areas in addition to the behavioral competencies. It was developed through a series of large-scale research studies that incorporated the viewpoints of thousands of HR professionals from around the world.
In addition to describing the HR field, the SHRM BASK is used to define the content areas of SHRM’s certification examinations: the SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP®) exam for HR professionals in operational roles and the SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP®) exam for senior-level HR professionals in strategic roles. The two SHRM credentials provide reliable indicators to the global business community that the credential-holder is a recognized expert and leader in the HR field with the necessary capabilities in both aspects of HR practice—competencies and knowledge—that are required for effective job performance.
Further, the SHRM BASK is also the common framework for the item writers who develop SHRM-CP and SHRM-SCP exam questions, as well as individuals and organizations developing exam preparation materials. SHRM’s own operations for exam development are separate and independent from its operations for study material development. SHRM observes a strict firewall between these activities to protect the integrity and credibility of the certification exams.
SHRM Learning System
Your course registration includes the SHRM Learning System, the official cert prep tool based on the SHRM BASK, and delivers the most comprehensive and effective SHRM-CP and SHRM-SCP exam preparation. You'll learn everything you need for the SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP® exam via textbooks and online access to supplemental materials like quizzes, flashcards, and practice exams made up of retired exam questions.
3 Steps to SHRM Certification
- Apply to sit for the SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP exam
- Those that wish to sit for the certification exam must contact SHRM to apply.
- The certification exams are administered during two testing windows each year (winter and spring) - for best results, schedule your certification exam for testing window immediately after the end of your preparation course.
- SHRM offers an early-bird exam application deadline at a reduced cost rate.
- Live remote proctoring is now available for SHRM certification exams, so you have the option to take your test at home or at a testing center.
- For full details, visit shrm.org/certification/apply.
- Please Note: The certification exam fee is not included in your course registration.
- Prepare for your exam with U of A Professional and Workforce Development’s SHRM Learning System course.
- Sit for your exam and leverage your new certification.
Why Earn Your SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP Certification?
The SHRM Certified Professional® (SHRM-CP®) and SHRM Senior Certified Professional® (SHRM-SCP®) are the only behavioral competency-based HR certifications, proving not only what you know but also how you can apply that knowledge on the job.
- Increase your earning potential - HR professionals who pass the SHRM certification exam report earning salaries 14% - 15% higher than peers who do not.
- Get promoted - Of SHRM-certified professionals who were promoted, 63% report that their credential was a key factor.
- Gain readiness - Certified professionals report a greater understanding of necessary skills, credibility as a respected expert, and satisfaction with the HR profession.
Course Exam Pass Rates
For nearly two decades, U of A Professional and Workforce Development has successfully prepared HR professionals for their certification exam and our pass rates consistently exceeded the national average. Many years, our pass rates also exceed the average for other instructor-led SHRM Learning System courses!
Our course is specifically tailored to meet the needs of professional adult learners. Our attendance options allow you to choose the method that works best for your schedule: live class sessions, or view the recorded sessions at your convenience. In combination with the SHRM Learning System, our SHRM-certified expert instructors provide the structure and additional tools you need to assess your current knowledge, identify your unique gaps, review content in bite-sized pieces, and provide additional study tools and exam-taking tips.
Course Benefits to You
- Includes the SHRM Learning System, historically ranked the #1 HR certification prep tool.
- Receive instruction from an experienced, SHRM-certified instructor.
- A structured learning experience that keeps you on track.
- Opportunities to network and learn from your peers.
- Potential eligibility for tuition reimbursement from your employer.
- Certification is recognized worldwide.
- HR professionals who pass the SHRM certification exam report earning salaries 14%-15% higher than peers who do not.
Course Benefits to Employers
- Exam preparation course and networking helps HR professionals bring new ideas to your organization that will help drive success.
- Helps create a common HR language that optimizes consistency and effectiveness.
- Prepares HR staff to assume greater leadership roles and contribute to the strategic direction of your organization.
- Certification demonstrates that their HR professionals have mastered the application of HR best practices.
- Certification is recognized worldwide.
What People Are Saying
The University of Arkansas Global Campus course for the SHRM Learning System course
provides the tools needed to successfully pass the new SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP certification
exams. It is a great mixture of in-person or remote classroom experience led by HR
Professionals who know what it takes to get your certification. The SHRM Learning
System gives you what you need to self-study while the U of A course gives you the
additional classroom time for the content to really sink in. I cannot recommend this
course highly enough to any HR Professional."Nick Meadows, SHRM-SCP
PMO Team Leader, North American HR Shared Services
The SHRM Learning System and the U of A Professional and Workforce Development served
an important role as I studied for my certification exam. The recorded class sessions
were especially valuable to me: My personal learning style is writing - I retain information
better if I write it down - so I played back every single recorded class and would
pause as needed to write down the slides. My recommendation to those going through
the SHRM prep course is to note what learning style works best for you, and then dedicate
your time outside of the required reading and class hours to taking advantage of all
the additional resources available to you (videos, terminology/vocabulary, online
quizzes, etc.) to study in that style."Jamie Terrell, SHRM-CP
Interim Director of Human Resources
Friendship Community Care, Inc.
Individuals who perform HR duties or currently enrolled students who wish to verify, validate, enhance and/or expand their HR capabilities are likely candidates for SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP certification.
SHRM membership is not required for eligibility and individuals need not be employed at the time they apply.
Specific criteria for each credentialing level are as follows:
The SHRM-CP certification is intended for individuals that perform general HR/HR-related duties; or for currently enrolled students and individuals pursuing a career in Human Resource Management.
Candidates for the SHRM-CP certification are not required to hold an HR title and do not need a degree or previous HR experience to apply; however, a basic working knowledge of HR practices and principles or a degree from an Academically Aligned program is recommended.
The SHRM-CP exam is designed to assess the competency level of HR at the operational level. This level includes implementing policies, supporting day-to-day HR functions, or serving as an HR point of contact for staff and stakeholders.
Refer to the SHRM BASK for detailed information on proficiency standards for this credential (i.e., Proficiency Indicators only For All HR Professionals).
The SHRM-SCP certification is for individuals that have a work history of at least 3 years performing strategic level HR/HR-related duties; or for SHRM-CP credential holders who have held the credential for at least 3 years and are working in, or are in the process of transitioning to, a strategic level role.
Candidates for the SHRM-SCP certification are not required to hold an HR title and do not need a degree to apply.
The SHRM-SCP exam is designed to assess the competency level of those who engage in HR work at the strategic level. Work at this level includes duties such as developing HR policies and/or procedures, overseeing the execution of integrated HR operations, directing an entire HR enterprise, or leading the alignment of HR strategies to organizational goals.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate that they devoted at least 1,000 hours per calendar year (Jan. – Dec.) to strategic level HR/HR-related work.
- More than 1,000 hours in a calendar year does not equate to more than 1 year of experience.
- Part-time work qualifies as long as the 1,000-hour per calendar year standard is met.
- Experience may be either salaried or hourly.
Individuals who are HR consultants may demonstrate qualifying experience through the HR/HR-related duties they perform for their clients. Contracted hours must meet the 1,000-hour standard.
Refer to the SHRM BASK for detailed information on proficiency standards for this credential (i.e., Proficiency Indicators For All HR Professionals and For Advanced HR Professionals).
Current SHRM Certification Holders Seeking Recertification Hours
You’ve already invested the time and hard work to earn your credentials, don’t let your certification slip away! We are your trusted source for recertification credits. Brush up your skills and earn up to 36 professional development credits (PDCs) by attending our SHRM Learning System course.
Many employers provide professional development funding or reimbursement to their employees. Check with your employer to see if these opportunities are available and how to request them. It’s also important to be prepared to explain how earning your SHRM certification will benefit the organization.
Benefits to Your Employer
- It demonstrates that their HR professionals have mastered the application of HR technical and behavioral competencies.
- Certification prepares their HR staff to assume greater leadership roles and contribute to the strategic direction of your organization.
- Exam preparation helps HR professionals bring new ideas to your organization that will help drive success.
- It helps create a common HR language that optimizes consistency and effectiveness.
- Certification is relevant worldwide, as exams cover the new global SHRM BoCK™.
Please Note: If you are applying for a scholarship, you should not register for the course until scholarships have been announced. No refunds will be given to scholarship recipients.
- Application Deadline is January 27, 2023
- Scholarships in the amount of $1,399 are available to ARSHRM and NOARK Members.
- Before applying, applicants should contact SHRM to confirm their eligibility to sit for the certification exam.
To apply, send an email to Katie Ricardo containing:
- Phone Number
- Have You Confirmed Your Eligibility To Sit For The Certification Exam with SHRM: Yes/No
- Membership Status: SHRM, ARSHRM, and/or a Local Chapter (NOARK, CAHRA, WCASHRM, NAHRA, NCASHRM, WAHRA, NEASHRM, or SAHRA)
- Highest Education Level Completed: High School, Associates Degree, Bachelors Degree, or Graduate Degree
- Reason For Requesting Scholarship Consideration
- In addition to financial need, please explain how earning your SHRM certification will benefit your career, current employer, and the HR community and profession.
Scholarship receipts will be contacted on January 30, 2023.
- Each year, approx. 220 grants are distributed.
- Applications Opens May 1, and the Application Deadline is August 2.
- Grant recipients are announced November 2, and grants must be used within 12 months of the issue date.
Interested in Training Your Team?
Have a question or prefer to speak to a person?
Ask about volume discounts or offering a program at your location.
SHRM Certification Exam Information
- Testing Windows
- Certification Handbook
- Join SHRM
- SHRM Resources
Katie Morris, SHRM-SCP
Cliff Sandsmark, SHRM-SCP