Microsoft Power BI
Microsoft Power BI transforms your company data into rich visuals that facilitate new ways of thinking about and organizing your data, so that you can focus on what is important to achieving your goals.
This 2-day training offers hands-on experience with an expert instructor to guide you at every step, and a textbook you can keep as a reference. A workshop, with the opportunity to bring your own data and collaborate with classmates and/or ask specific questions of the instructor, will be provided at the end of day 2.
This course provides comprehensive training, including user interface and navigation, connecting, importing and preparing data for use, merging, group and summarize data, visualizing and creating reports, and publishing reports for online consumption. The course utilizes Power BI Desktop, but also offers a section that explores Power BI Online.
- Power BI Overview
- Power BI Desktop User Interface and Navigation
- Connecting, Importing and Preparing Data for Use
- Merging, Grouping, Summarizing, and Calculating Data
- Visualizing & Creating Reports
- Publishing Reports for Online Consumption
In this module, we will explain what Power BI provides, examine the products available
and what they bring to the
table, and cover how Power BI updates are provided.
- What is Power BI?
- Examining Power BI Suite of Products
- Identifying Differences Between Products
- Understanding Power BI Updates
- Connecting to internal and external databases
- Time Filtering
- Measure Filtering
In this module, we will examine the steps necessary to install Power BI Desktop, explore
the interface, discuss the
available file types, and data sources, and discuss how to configure data refresh settings. We will also cover the
available data types and discuss best practices in utilizing them.
- Installing Power BI Desktop
- Exploring the Power BI Desktop Interface
- Utilizing File Types; PBIX vs PBIT
- Examining Data Sources
- Discussing Data Refresh
- Understanding Data Types
- Drill Through
- Geo Maps
In this module, we will examine importing data, transforming data, loading data, and
manipulating data using CSV,
TXT, and Excel Worksheets. Power BI handles these files types with ease.
- Importing Data
- Transforming Data
- Loading Data
- Appending Operations
- Working with Folders and Files
- Using Pivot Tables
In this module, we will discuss why merges have been difficult in the past, examine
how much easier they are to
utilize today, and explore grouping, summarizing and calculating options.
- Understanding the Issues with Merges
- Performing Merges
- Grouping Options
In this module, we will create a report and examine the visualization options.
- Creating Reports
- Utilizing the Matrix Visualization
- Utilizing the Map Visualization
- Utilizing the Card Visualization
- Utilizing the Chart Visualization
- Utilizing Slicers
- Publishing to Power BI Online
- Mobile Reporting