Instructional Methods for English Learners
Earn professional development hours through the Instructional Methods for English Learners series offered by the College of Education and Health Professions. A National Professional Development grant through the Office of English Acquisition at the U.S. Department of Education will cover the majority of the cost of the three 6-hour modules designed to provide you with the basic knowledge and teaching skills necessary to address the growing number of Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CLD) students within your classroom and school. The modules' overall focus is to provide participants with knowledge and skills targeted for culturally and linguistically diverse students related to effective planning, instructional strategies, and academic conversations. Those who do not meet the qualifications for grant funding can pay $60 for each class module.
*To qualify for grant funding, you must:
- Have been in a professional educator role in Arkansas in the academic year 2017-2018
- Plan to be in a professional educator role in Arkansas in the academic year 2018-2019
- Register online and supply information about your employer, school, class, etc.
If you qualify for the scholarship, enroll in the course and do not complete it, you will be responsible for paying the $60 enrollment fee for the course.
If you do not meet these qualifications and are interested in this course, please contact Cynthia Hrdlichka at email@example.com or 479-464-5024 for registration and payment information.
Online / Instructor Lead
$60 per module
*$12 per module for qualified educators through a U.S. Department of Education grant.
Each month, participants have from the 1st through the 15th to register for courses.
Participants will have until the last day of the month in which they registered to complete the course(s).
Courses are not offered in December.
Recommended Book (not included)
Unlocking English Learners' Potential: Strategies for Making Content Accessible
by Diane Staehr Fenner
The book will be used for all three classes.
Effective Teaching for English Learners
The first module, Effective Planning for English Learners, focuses on incorporating content and language objectives into lessons to develop English skills across the curriculum. The module focuses on the purposeful use of language functions and frames to create successful learning goals.
- Plan with purpose for language and engagement of CLD students.
- Create language objectives in content area instruction to support CLD learners.
- Construct a differentiated lesson plan with content and language objectives incorporating language functions and frames.
Instructional Strategies for English Learners
You will learn differentiated strategies that go beyond good teaching to enhance the learning of culturally and linguistically diverse students. The core of this module is creating opportunities for success for culturally and linguistically diverse students through specific strategies and techniques.
- Construct a lesson plan with CLD instructional strategies allowing for CLD students to demonstrate and enhance learning.
- Implement instructional strategies that are effective for CLD students in the classroom that correlate with ELP standards.
Academic Conversations and Target Language
You will learn how to support students' academic discourse and target language. In module three we will focus on supporting speaking, listening, reading, and writing for culturally and linguistically diverse students.
- Construct a lesson plan that includes target language and academic conversations for CLD students.
- Utilize academic conversations with CLD students.
- Apply the strategy of discussion cards with CLD students.
Project CONNECT Director
Project Director for Project SOAR