Instructional Methods for English Learners
— Offered by the College of Education and Health Professions —
Earn professional development hours through the Instructional Methods for English Learners series offered by the College of Education and Health Professions. A National Professional Development grant through the Office of English Acquisition at the U.S. Department of Education will cover the cost of the three 6-hour courses designed to provide you with the basic knowledge and teaching skills necessary to address the growing number of Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CLD) students within your classroom and school. The overall focus is to provide participants with knowledge and skills targeted for culturally and linguistically diverse students related to effective planning, instructional strategies, and academic conversations.
These courses contain self-paced activities for professional development hours. The instructor will assess all work submitted for the course in a timely manner, and individual feedback will be provided. Rubrics are provided to help you self-assess your work. You will receive a certificate of completion from Global Campus after your work has been assessed if you complete the course at a proficient level.
Registration is Open!
Online / Instructor Led (all courses)
Complete up to three courses of your choice between December 1, 2022 and March 31, 2023.
Registration will be closed December 15 through January 3rd for winter break.
Last day to register:
March 15, 2023
Recommended Book (not included)
Unlocking English Learners' Potential: Strategies for Making Content Accessible
by Diane Staehr Fenner
The book will be used for all three classes.
Effective Teaching for English Learners
The first course, Effective Planning for English Learners, focuses on incorporating content and language objectives into lessons to develop English skills across the curriculum. The course focuses on the purposeful use of language functions and frames to create successful learning goals.
- Plan with purpose for language and engagement of CLD students.
- Create language objectives in content area instruction to support CLD learners.
- Construct a differentiated lesson plan with content and language objectives incorporating language functions and frames.
Instructional Strategies for English Learners
You will learn differentiated strategies that go beyond good teaching to enhance the learning of culturally and linguistically diverse students. The core of this course is creating opportunities for success for culturally and linguistically diverse students through specific strategies and techniques.
- Construct a lesson plan with CLD instructional strategies allowing for CLD students to demonstrate and enhance learning.
- Implement instructional strategies that are effective for CLD students in the classroom that correlate with ELP standards.
Academic Conversations and Target Language
You will learn how to support students' academic discourse and target language. In course three we will focus on supporting speaking, listening, reading, and writing for culturally and linguistically diverse students.
- Construct a lesson plan that includes target language and academic conversations for CLD students.
- Utilize academic conversations with CLD students.
- Apply the strategy of discussion cards with CLD students.