Drone Pilot Training
This course, Unmanned Aircraft Systems 1, is the first step to becoming a professional UAS (drone) pilot. It is designed to help people prepare to pass their FAA Remote Pilot Certificate Examination (FAA Part 107 Exam).
Learn unmanned aircraft best practices and the basics of data processing software. Gain practical proficiency with hands-on flying, and learn about flight weather data interpretation, flight planning, airspace, map reading, and use of platforms to perform video and mapping tasks.
The course is intended for people who want to become more proficient pilots, flying safely and legally. This includes people interested in using the technology for work or commercial ventures, as well as hobbyists and people who may be interested in becoming aircraft pilots.
There are very few courses that offer the knowledge level required for the FAA remote pilot examination and also teach and evaluate practical UAS flying," said Rich Ham, class instructor and the associate director of the Master of Sciences in Engineering Management and Operations Management programs at the U of A College of Engineering. "Anyone wanting to be a safe and compliant pilot should consider this course."
Participants are responsible for the cost of the FAA exam (about $150) and the cost of their personal drones, which are not included in the course fee.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the FAA Remote examination Airman Certification Standard by passing the FAA exam.
- Demonstrate flight planning and safe operation of a UAS through a practical examination.
- Understand how to make good aeronautical decisions and manage risk of UAS operations.
- Understand how data programs are used to process data gathered with a UAS.
- Students must meet FAA eligibility requirements to take the exam before the final class
- The FAA testing location in NWA is Bentonville Municipal Airport in Bentonville
- Computer, computer camera, mic and speakers (or headphones) for online lecture and discussion
- A drone. If purchased or owned prior to class, the drone must be approved by the instructor.
Students have the option to purchase a drone with an education discount during the
- Class Orientation
- Introduction to Unmanned Aircraft Systems
- Hands-on UAS drone selection
- FAA Part 107 Progress
- Question and answer session
- Practical instruction session
- Final test preparation
- Field testing
- FAA Part 107 Exam
There will be online assignments to be completed between sessions.
Cost does not include FAA exam or personal drone
This course is not yet scheduled, but we can notify you when it is.
8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Group Rates: 10% discount for five or more participants, 15% discount for ten or more participants. Contact Mark Berkowick or 479-464-5024. Discounts cannot be combined.
Richard Ham, Ed.D.