Drone Pilot Training
This Unmanned Aircraft Systems 1 course is the first step to becoming a professional UAS (drone) pilot. It is designed to help people prepare to pass their FAA Remote Pilot Certificate Examination (FAA Part 107 Exam).
Learn unmanned aircraft best practices and the basics of data processing software. Gain practical proficiency with hands-on flying, and learn about flight weather data interpretation, flight planning, airspace, map reading, and use of platforms to perform video and mapping tasks.
The course is intended for people who want to become more proficient pilots, flying safely and legally. This includes people interested in using the technology for work or commercial ventures, as well as hobbyists and people who may be interested in becoming aircraft pilots.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the FAA Remote examination Airman Certification Standard by passing the FAA exam.
- Demonstrate flight planning and safe operation of a UAS through a practical examination.
- Understand how to make good aeronautical decisions and manage risk of UAS operations.
- Understand how data programs are used to process data gathered with a UAS.
- Class Orientation
- Introduction to Unmanned Aircraft Systems
- Hands-on UAS drone selection
- Part 107 Progress Webinar
- Question and answer session
- Practical instruction session
- Final test preparation
- Students must take FAA 107 exam before final class. Local testing locations include Bentonville Municipal Airport in Bentonville and Drake Field in Fayetteville.
- Field testing
There will be online assignments to be completed between sessions
February 3* -
March 17, 2018
Every other Saturday, 9 am to noon
Course does not include FAA exam or required personal drone
Group Rates: 10% discount for five or more participants, 15% discount for ten or more participants. Contact Mark Berkowick or 479-464-5024. Discounts cannot be combined.
10% discount for University of Arkansas faculty, staff and current students. To receive the discount, you must register with your uark email address and enter coupon code 'UA10' at checkout. Status will be verified and correct rate will be applied. Additional discounts do not apply.
No refunds of the UA 10% discount, or any other discount, will be granted once registration is complete.
- Students must meet FAA eligibility requirements to take the exam before the final class
- The FAA testing location in NWA is Bentonville Municipal Airport in Bentonville
- Computer, computer camera, mic and speakers (or headphones) for online lecture and discussion
- A drone. If purchased or owned prior to class, the drone must be approved by the instructor.
Students have the option to purchase a drone with an education discount during the
Richard Ham, Ed.D.
Senior Associate Director of the Master of Science in Operations Management, Department of Industrial Engineering
College of Engineering, University of Arkansas