HR Issues for Managers: 2017 SHRM Essentials for Human Resources
Gain the critical knowledge necessary to help reduce costs, improve your ability to handle challenging HR issues, reduce legal risks, and develop your human capital to effectively manage profits.
Developed by Society of Human Resources Management (SHRM) experts and legal counsel, this course covers a wide range of HR topics in a condensed, straightforward format. Easy-to-understand content ensures that you master HR concepts and apply them to everyday situations and issues.
This program is ideal if you manage a team as part of a non-HR job, are looking for an effective HR refresher course and information about recent legislative changes, or are just starting out in the HR profession.
The University of Arkansas Global Campus is recognized by SHRM to offer 16 Professional Development Credits for the SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP.
This course is pending recertification hours.
2 Day Workshop
Oct 12-13, 2017
8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Lunch will be provided
Cost includes SHRM Essentials® of HR Management Learning System
10% discount for University of Arkansas Faculty, Staff and Current Students. To receive the discount, you must register with your uark email address and enter coupon code 'UA10' at checkout. Status will be verified and correct rate will be applied. Additional discounts do not apply.
No refunds of the UA 10% discount, or any other discount, will be granted once registration is complete.
Ask about group discounts or offering a program at your location. Contact Erin Morgan or 479-464-5024.
Offered in partnership with
HRCI recertification hours processed by the Northwest Arkansas Human Resources Association, Inc.
Module 1: Human Resource Management
- Define human resource management
- Explain the roles and responsibilities of human resource professionals
- Explain and strengthen the alignment between strategic planning and HR planning
Module 2: Employment Law
- Explain the key provisions of legislation that affects HR activities, including:
- Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (and amendments)
- Age Discrimination in Employment Act
- Americans with Disabilities Act
- Civil Rights Act of 1991
- Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act
- Fair Labor Standards Act
- Equal Pay Act
- Immigration Reform and Control Act
- Family and Medical Leave Act
- Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act
- Immigration Reform and Control Act
- Drug-Free Workplace Act
- Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act
- Occupational Safety and Health Act
- Explain the role of the EEOC
- Describe the purpose of affirmative action
Module 3: Recruitment and Selection
- Evaluate recruiting methods and their effectiveness
- Analyze and evaluate job applicants
- Recognize biases in the interview process and how to eliminate them
- Explain the selection process and identify key selection tools
Module 4: Compensation and Benefits
- Explain the basic elements of a total compensation system
- Understand the role of base pay, incentives, and differentials in employee compensation
- Explain the four key steps of the compensation system design process
- Provide an overview of benefits commonly offered by employers
Module 5: Employee Development
- Explain what training is
- Understand the importance of learning styles and adult learning principles in developing training
- Explain the purposes of orientation, onboarding, development, and training
- Identify on-the-job and off-the-job training strategies
- Identify key professional development tools
- Explain the four levels of evaluation
Module 6: Performance Management
- Describe the performance evaluation process and systems
- Identify common evaluation errors
- Conduct effective disciplinary meetings
- Identify legal issues to consider during employee terminations
SHRM Essentials® is designed by global HR subject matter experts and is designed to help HR professionals and business managers learn practical applications you will use every day.
Benefits to You
- People are a company's most expensive asset. Learn how to increase return on your investment.
- Broaden your people development skills.
- Understand your organization's HR issues.
- Gain insight into responsibilities that are broader than the normal scope of your job.
- Stay up to date on the latest HR laws and regulations.
- Earn SHRM and HRCI Recertification Credit Hours, or PDUs to self-report to the certifying body of your choice.
- Looking for a different way to develop yourself and separate yourself from the pack? Sign up today.
Benefits to Employers
- Demonstrate that your managers have mastered the application of HR competencies.
- Prepare your HR and non-HR staff to assume greater leadership roles and contribute to the strategic direction of your organization.
- Walmart and Sam's Club Supplier Team Leaders tell us their corporate HR departments don't always understand the unique differences of their teams vs. those at the home office. Train your Team Leaders on how to handle some of these issues themselves and to speak a common HR language so they can more effectively communicate with your HR Dept.
SHRM Essentials is ideal for:
- Business owners who perform the HR function for their company.
- Managers who need an updated overview of HR, want to learn HR best practices to avoid costly litigation, or are interested in learning more about employee management skills.
- New and junior HR professionals who need to increase their knowledge base.
- International HR personnel wishing to increase their knowledge of U.S. HR practices.
- HR Certification Candidates who may wish to pursue the SHRM Learning System® and/or SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP certification in the future.
- Walmart and Sam's Club Supplier Team Leaders or others who lead people on a team.
- Trainers that coach others on HR functions and office policies.
- Job seekers who are investigating HR as a new career option or want to enhance their resume with HR skills.