Music for Children With Special Needs
Participants will become familiar with general educational issues and music education trends affecting students with special needs in the United States.
Questions about music education teaching and learning will be covered, and participants will be introduced to variations in language ability, assessment, inclusion, and music education in a diverse world. The class will develop a sense of community through class discussions, completion of case studies, and presentations of teaching that includes adaptations, accommodations, and modifications. Additionally, participants will become knowledgeable in the areas of language, motor, visual, and social development, connecting current research and theory about students with special needs in music education to classroom practice. To synthesize thinking and learning experiences, participants will also critically assess inclusive school settings.
- Develop personal, educational, and socio-political understandings of disability
- Demonstrate awareness of the political, social, and historical contexts of special education
- Be prepared to work within an inclusive and collaborative educational structure
- Develop a keen awareness of, and strong commitment to teaching the full range of learners with disabilities
- Anticipate high-priority needs, as well as effectively teach and make routine accommodations for students with Individualized Education Programs (IEPs) and 504 plans
January 17 - May 12, 2018
14 Online Sessions
*Cost does not include required textbook
10% discount for University of Arkansas faculty, staff and current students. To receive the discount, you must register with your uark email address and enter coupon code 'UA10' at checkout. Status will be verified and correct rate will be applied. Additional discounts do not apply.
No refunds of the UA 10% discount, or any other discount, will be granted once registration is complete.
Course Materials - Required
These course materials are required, and may be purchased through the University of Arkansas Bookstore or other outlets.
- A computer with a webcam
- Teaching Music to Students with Special Needs: A Label-Free Approach
Author: Hammel and Hourigan
Publisher: Oxford University Press
Dr. Alice Hammel
Instructor, James Madison and Virginia Commonwealth Universities