IASSC Lean Six Sigma Green Belt Certification
— Offered by the College of Engineering —
Lean and Six Sigma are proven, complementary business methodologies for maximizing customer satisfaction and improving quality by reducing defects, process waste, and variation. When properly applied to carefully selected improvement projects, businesses can achieve significant productivity and financial gains.
The Lean Six Sigma Green Belt program delivers in-depth training, preparing participants to successfully lead and contribute to process-level improvement projects. This course will analyze the company’s approach to Lean Six Sigma across a broad spectrum of functions, including customer service and logistics. Attendees will gain practical insight into the five-step DMAIC model—Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve, Control—and how it is used to apply a variety of Lean and Six Sigma principles and tools to reduce defects and waste, and then verify the effectiveness of the solutions. The course is a blend of lecture and application, emphasizing individual and small group exercises, for a practical training environment. On the final day of the program, participants will sit for their Lean Six Sigma Green Belt certification exam.
Upon completion of this program, participants will be able to:
- Apply the basic Six Sigma tools and methodologies
- Think critically and use data-driven approaches to solve problems following the DMAIC model
- Define, scope and create project charters
- Develop process and value-stream maps
- Develop cause and effect diagrams
- Demonstrate basic statistical analyses
- Understand and apply the following elements of Six Sigma techniques:
- Effective data collection techniques
- Central limit theorem
- Process and Control FMEA
- Mistake-proofing (Poka-Yoke)
- SPC Charts
- Control plans
- Apply Lean/Six Sigma tools to track day-to-day process/project improvements
- Report out results in a structured format
Benefits to You
- Includes the IASSC Body of Knowledge
- Receive instruction from an experienced instructor holding a Black Belt certification
- A structured learning experience that keeps you on track
- Acquire the knowledge and understanding to help you prepare for the exam
- Opportunities to network and learn from your peers
Benefits to Your Employer
- Course content provides professionals with a common language and new ideas that will help drive success
- Organization will realize increased productivity and financial gains
- Certification prepares staff to assume greater leadership roles and contribute to the strategic direction of the organization
- Certification is relevant worldwide
Anyone may register for the course and sit for an IASSC certification exam, there are no other dependencies or prerequisites. Natural candidates to become Green Belts are people whose current positions are routinely associated with or directed at problem-solving. Individuals identified for this intense training should be those who will be expected to become continuous process improvement team members.
There are currently several exam options for earning a Lean Six Sigma Green Belt certifications, including:
- International Association of Six Sigma Certification (IASSC)
- The American Society for Quality (ASQ)
- Council for Six Sigma Citification (CSSC)
- Accredited Universities and Colleges
- Businesses (Some large businesses that view Six Sigma as a vital part of their success may offer their own certifications. GE is one example.)
When it comes to the ‘best’ or most recognized organization certificating body, there is no clear answer. Each certifying body values some subjects over others. But some points to consider when choosing a program are:
- professional reputation
- certification criteria (all require exams, but some also require a minimum number of years of experience, mentoring, a project, etc.)
- number of people certified through it
- employment prospects and salary expectations
In determining which certification is best for, you must look at them as a whole, weigh their pros and cons, and select the one that best fits your needs and interests.
IASSC Certification is a globally recognized Lean Six Sigma Certification formed in 2009 and has been conducting Professional Credentialing in Lean Six Sigma based on their mission of bringing Certification Best Practices to the industry since that time. IASSC was formed because no other association within the Lean Six Sigma industry offered certification without also offering training. (Offering training to candidates, particularly on a commercial level, along with self-defined certification criteria creates a potential conflict of interest. For more information, research ‘second-party certification’ vs ‘third-party certification’.) Anyone may sit for an IASSC certification exam- there are no other dependencies or prerequisites. At the start of 2018 more than 7,000 professionals had earned an IASSC Certification. And certified professionals are issued a Certificate (PDF) along with a Certification Number, a digital badge, added to the Official IASSC Certification Register and granted the right to use the IASSC Certification Marks and Titles; as professional designation which may be used in resumes and public profiles such as LinkedIn. For these reasons, the University of Arkansas College of Engineering and the Global Campus have chosen to become an IASSC Accredited Training Organization.
Interested in Training Your Team?
Have a question or prefer to speak to a person?
Ask about volume discounts or offering a program at your location.