Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Training Program
The Global Campus has forged a new partnership with Northwest Technical Institute and Mid-America Truck Driving School to offer a comprehensive Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Program designed to help participants develop the necessary skills to begin driving a truck professionally.
Experienced instructors from Mid-America Truck Driving School provide both hands-on training and the CDL knowledge needed to prepare students to properly and safely operate a truck, and to prepare to take the CDL exam.
According a report by the American Trucking Associations (ATA) the driver shortfall could reach 50,000 positions by the end of 2017 and if trends hold, will grow to more than 174,000 by 2026.
Classes will be held at...
view mapNorthwest Technical Institute
709 S Old Missouri Rd
Springdale, AR 72764
Offered in partnership with
Includes all reading materials, DOT drug screen and physical exam.
Monday - Friday
7:45 am - 5:00 pm CT
200 clock/contact hours
08/14/17 - 09/18/17
09/25/17 - 10/27/17
10/20/17 - 12/04/17
12/04/17 - 01/12/18
Monday - Friday
5:30 pm - 10:00 pm CT
200 clock/contact hours
On-site training takes place in Springdale, Arkansas. This program is designed for regional participants. Also, we are not able to accept international students or those that do not already hold appropriate work visas.
- Modules 1 & 2 will be covered during weeks 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5.
- Modules 3 & 4 will be covered during the 3rd, 4th & 5th weeks.
- The course Final will be administered by the Arkansas State Police in week 5.
- DOT Physical & drug screen.
- Fundamentals of commercial motor vehicle operation & handling techniques and characteristics.
- Familiarization with nighttime driving; road & weather conditions; high mountain driving.
- Understanding principles and proper use of air brakes. Controlled v.s. stab braking. Snubbing.
- Recognizing effects of “rearward amplification”.
- Skids: Anticipating, preventing, or correcting skids.
- Hazmat transport rules and regulations.
- Health & wellness awareness issues that impact CDL drivers; Qualifications; Whistleblower guidelines.
- Inspecting truck/trailer.
- Placing vehicles in motion & use of controls (motor, clutch, transmission, brakes, steering, mirrors).
- Coupling/Uncoupling; repositioning trailer axles & fifth wheel
- Basic control skills: Straight line backing; offset backing; parallel parking; angle backing
- Operating in traffic: Safe following distance, turns, lane changes, intersections, speed & space management,
- Defensive driving: Operating in light, moderate, and heavy traffic conditions.
- General driving ability & habits: Adapts to conditions, alert & attentive, positive attitude, even temper, correct lane position
The five-week program results in a total of 200 hours of combined classroom and behind-the-wheel training, including the course final exam. Each course was designed to provide the student with the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to obtain a commercial driver’s license. The program will also equip students to operate any classification of commercial vehicle, including tractor and trailer vehicles, dump trucks, log trucks, cement mixers, school buses and coach buses.
While this training program is available for all who qualify, the Global Campus’ partnership in the program is to help address the growing shortage of licensed truck drivers in the United States by offering expanded CDL test preparation opportunities to two specific target populations, including:
- Women - who make up 47% of the total U.S. labor force, yet only 6% of all truck drivers
are women – according to data from the Labor Department and American Trucking Association.
- Veterans - Recently, the American Trucking Associations pledged that its members will hire 100,000 military veterans over the next two years. The US government is also trying to simplify the transition to the transportation industry for veterans by expanding its waiver program- giving states the authority to waive the skills portion of the CDL application for active-duty and recently discharged members of the U.S. armed services, National Guard, Reserve and U.S. Coast Guard- if those individuals have experience driving comparable military vehicles. Veterans may also apply to use their GI Benefits to pay for CDL training. These advances will result in returning veterans being able to get the training they need to re-enter the civilian workforce, at an affordable cost, in a career that characteristically provides exceptional pay and benefits, while meeting the demands of our US economy.
Mid-America Truck Driving School
Doug holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting from Georgia Southwestern University, and previously worked as a senior accountant in corporate finance for a Fortune 500 company. He then drove, owned and operated trucks for over 1 million safe miles. In 2004, Doug was certified as a Smith System Instructor. In founding Mid-America, his goal is to instill each entry-level truck driver with the value of defensive driving habits. Doug is also an Air Force veteran.
Mid-America Truck Driving School
Kathy holds an Associate’s Degree from College of the Ouachitas (formerly known as Ouachita Technical College), and has over twenty years of safe driving experience as a truck driver. She also worked as a driver trainer at CalArk for 10 years, and is also a past competitor in the AR Truck Driving Championship. Both of Cathy’s sons followed in her footsteps with a career as truck drivers because of their admiration for her accomplishments.
USA Truck Career Launch Program
Start a New Career with Great Benefits and Potential
Tuition Paid in Full for Qualified, Selected Candidates
No Experience Necessary
Day and Evening Classes Available
The trucking industry offers vast career opportunities. Through the USA Truck Career Launch Program, job seekers can apply for a scholarship to attend the Commercial Driver License (CDL) training program offered through a partnership with the University of Arkansas Global Campus, Northwest Technical Institute and Mid America Truck Driving School. Women and veterans are encouraged to apply.
USA Truck Career Launch Program will provide scholarships for qualified applicants. Scholarships pay the registration cost of the five-week CDL training program offered through the Global Campus and its partners. Classes will be offered at the Northwest Technical Institute in Springdale.
Pre-screening and eligibility requirements
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- No more than 2 moving violations in the past 3 years
- No more than 2 collisions in the past 3 years
- No DUI's, DWI's or any other violations involving drugs or alcohol within the last 7 years
- Stable work history
- Complete an approved physical examination and drug screen as prescribed by the United States Department of Transportation Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
Interested parties may be ineligible if they have any of the following infractions on their driving records:
- Major offenses.
- Serious traffic violations (second offense).
- Railroad-highway grade crossing offenses.
- Violating Out-of-Service orders.
- Violating Implied Consent laws.
- Operating a CMV with a CDL from a decertified state.
Job Options Upon Completion
Successful CDL training program graduates who earn their commercial drivers licenses will be given preference for job openings with USA Truck. Details will be provided to scholarship applicants. A first-year driver with USA Truck has the potential to earn about $35,000 a year. Top-end, experienced owner-operators have an earning potential of $60,000 a year.
New classes begin each month. See the Course Details tab for the schedule.
Yes. As long as you are a US citizen, or hold an appropriate work visa, you are welcome to apply.
We can assist you in making a reservation at an extended stay hotel, but we do not pay for those costs or provide financial assistance for living expenses during the program.
The cost is $4,250. However, participants may qualify for financial assistance.
- GI Bill - Mid-America will assist qualified Veterans in applying for funds.
- Arkansas Rehabilitation Services - If you are an Arkansas resident receiving assistance from Arkansas Rehab, funding may be available
- USA Truck Scholarship - See the Scholarship Program tab for more information
If you qualify for the CDL Training Program, and indicate that you are interested in applying for the USA Truck Scholarship/Employment, your information will be forwarded to them and they will follow up with you to collect additional information.