Introduction to Construction
This online, self-paced course is an introduction to the construction industry, its parties, and processes. You will become familiar with the different types of construction, the diverse roles, stages, and processes of a construction project. You will develop an awareness of safety regulations, safety inspection, construction documents and their uses. You will also develop a working understanding of construction project management topics including estimating, project management, scheduling, close out and pay out.
- Understand and use standard construction terminology
- Identify the primary professions engaged in construction and their roles in the construction processes
- Identify different types of construction
- Develop an understanding of the materials and processes used in construction
- Develop an awareness of construction safety regulations and the role of OSHA
- Explain and discuss the various types of contract documents
- Become familiar with building codes, zoning, and inspection.
- Understand basic concepts of estimating, project management and scheduling
- Identify and ascertain information about the careers in construction
Graded assignments will consist of one quiz for each module, submitting a mid term project, and final practicum.
Quiz grades will automatically be posted. You will have full access to your grade sheet so you will be able to keep track of how you are doing at all times.
Your overall grade in the course will be determined by the total number of points you have accumulated on quizzes and assignments.
You will be given more information about the grading and other course matters in the Orientation Module.
Access / Completion Time:
5 weeks / 45 hours
Offered through our partnership with Construction Experts Inc.