Introduction to Concrete
This self-paced course provides an introduction to both Portland Cement Concrete (PCC) and Asphaltic Concrete.
Concrete is arguably the world’s most used construction material. In this course, you will become familiar with the materials and properties of each type of concrete along the manipulators used, including formwork, additives, and reinforcement. You will also develop an awareness of installation techniques for horizontal and vertical concrete and review the uses for tilt-up and precast concrete. Finally, you will develop a working understanding of weather’s impact on concrete and the uses of asphaltic concrete.
Access / Completion Time:
5 Weeks / 25 Hours
- Understand and use standard construction terminology as it relates to concrete and asphalt.
- Identify the materials used in Portland Cement Concrete.
- Differentiate between the different manipulators used and their purposes.
- Explain different installation techniques for horizontal and vertical concrete.
- Describe the special considerations for adverse weather concreting in both cold and hot weather.
- Recognize the uses for tilt-up concrete and precast concrete.
- Identify the ingredients of Asphaltic Concrete and its use.
Graded assignments will consist of one quiz for each module, submitting a mid term project, and final practicum.
Quiz grades will automatically be posted. You will have full access to your grade sheet so you will be able to keep track of how you are doing at all times.
Your overall grade in the course will be determined by the total number of points you have accumulated on quizzes and assignments.
You will be given more information about the grading and other course matters in the Orientation Module.
Offered through our partnership with Construction Experts Inc.