SHRM Essentials® and HR for Business Managers
Gain the critical knowledge necessary to help reduce costs, improve your ability to handle challenging HR issues, reduce legal risks, and develop your human capital to effectively manage profits.
Developed by leading HR experts and legal counsel, SHRM Essentials covers a wide range of HR topics in a condensed, straightforward format. Easy-to-understand content ensures that you master HR concepts and apply them to everyday situations and issues.
HR for Business Managers
Developed by experienced Global Campus instructors with the supplier team leader or manager in mind, these two modules will teach you how to increase and sustain productivity, develop and maintain a healthy and energized team culture, retain and motivate people, and drive business results.
This program is ideal if you manage a team as part of a non-HR job, are looking for an effective HR refresher course and information about recent legislative changes, or are just starting out in the HR profession.
2 Day Workshop
March 30-31, 2017
8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Lunch will be provided
Cost includes SHRM Essentials® of HR Management Learning System
10% discount for University of Arkansas Faculty, Staff, Current Students, and Alumni Association Members. Status will be verified and the appropriate rate will be applied.
Ask about group discounts or offering a program at your location. Contact Erin Morgan or 479-464-5024.
Module 1: Human Resource Management
- Define human resource management
- Explain the roles and responsibilities of human resource professionals
- Explain and strengthen the alignment between strategic planning and HR planning
Module 2: Employment Law
- Explain the key provisions of legislation that affects HR activities, including:
- Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (and amendments)
- Age Discrimination in Employment Act
- Americans with Disabilities Act
- Civil Rights Act of 1991
- Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act
- Fair Labor Standards Act
- Equal Pay Act
- Immigration Reform and Control Act
- Family and Medical Leave Act
- Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act
- Immigration Reform and Control Act
- Drug-Free Workplace Act
- Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act
- Occupational Safety and Health Act
- Explain the role of the EEOC
- Describe the purpose of affirmative action
Module 3: Recruitment and Selection
- Evaluate recruiting methods and their effectiveness
- Analyze and evaluate job applicants
- Recognize biases in the interview process and how to eliminate them
- Explain the selection process and identify key selection tools
Module 4: Compensation and Benefits
- Explain the basic elements of a total compensation system
- Understand the role of base pay, incentives, and differentials in employee compensation
- Explain the four key steps of the compensation system design process
- Provide an overview of benefits commonly offered by employers
Module 5: Employee Development
- Explain what training is
- Understand the importance of learning styles and adult learning principles in developing training
- Explain the purposes of orientation, onboarding, development, and training
- Identify on-the-job and off-the-job training strategies
- Identify key professional development tools
- Explain the four levels of evaluation
Module 6: Performance Management
- Describe the performance evaluation process and systems
- Identify common evaluation errors
- Conduct effective disciplinary meetings
- Identify legal issues to consider during employee terminations
HR for Business Managers
Module 7: Building and Sustaining Productivity
- 1+1= More Than 2
- What is the One Thing that by doing it makes other things unnecessary?
- Process: too little or too much?
- All organizations are designed to get the results they get. If you want improved results, you must improve your design.
Module 8: Culture
- Fitting together elements of culture.
- Learn how to make culture an outcome of targeted activity.
- You’ve learned how to measure culture- now what?
SHRM Essentials® is designed by global HR subject matter experts and is designed to help Business Mangers and HR Professionals learn practical applications you will use every day. With the addition of HR for Business Managers, the Global Campus provides customized training for the NWA area and Supplier community.
Benefits to You
- People costs are the most expensive line item on any P&L statement. Come learn how to improve your ROI on this valuable asset.
- As a Supplier Team Leader or Manager, developing an energized culture and improving productivity is key. Our HR for Business Managers content will offer proven tips and techniques.
- Broaden your people development skills.
- Understand your organization's HR issues.
- Gain insight into responsibilities that are broader than the normal scope of your job.
- Stay up to date on the latest HR laws and regulations.
- Earning 14 SHRM Recertification Credit Hours, or PDUs to self-report to the certifying body of your choice.
- Looking for a different way to develop yourself and separate yourself from the pack? Sign up today.
Benefits to Employers
- Walmart and Sam's Club Supplier Team Leaders tell us that their corporate HR departments don't always understand the unique differences of their teams vs. those at the home office. Train your Team Leaders on how to handle some of these issues themselves and to speak a common HR language so they can more effectively communicate with your HR Dept.
- Demonstrate that your managers have mastered the application of HR competencies.
- Prepare your HR and non-HR staff to assume greater leadership roles and contribute to the strategic direction of your organization.
The SHRM Essentials is ideal for:
- Walmart and Sam's Club Supplier Team Leaders or others who lead people on a team.
- Trainers that coach others on HR functions and office policies.
- Business owners who perform the HR function for their company.
- Managers who need an updated overview of HR, want to learn HR best practices to avoid costly litigation, or are interested in learning more about employee management skills.
- New and junior HR professionals who need to increase their knowledge base.
- International HR personnel wishing to increase their knowledge of U.S. HR practices.
- HR Certification Candidates who may wish to pursue the SHRM Learning System® and/or SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP certification in the future.
- Job seekers who are investigating HR as a new career option or want to enhance their resume with HR skills.